Each year, Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) conducts Regional Rural Bank exams otherwise known as IBPS RRB exams to recruit eligible candidates for various posts under Group- A (officer scale- I, II and III) and Group-B (office assistant).
Though lakhs of fresh candidates appear for the IBPS RRB exam every year, only a small fraction of them make it through. The reason why most candidates fail to crack the exam is that they fail to make the best use of their time and resources.
On that note, let’s talk about some important section-wise and general tips that might help the candidates appearing for the first time for the exam to boost their preparation and crack the IBPS RRB exam in their first attempt.
Section-wise Tips to Prepare for IBPS RRB Exam
A candidate can easily score well in the quantitative aptitude section in the Prelims and Mains exam, if he/she has a sound understanding of the basic concepts behind each topic and is fast at calculations.
To improve your calculation speed, learn formulas and short tricks to quickly reach an answer without long time-consuming steps. Furthermore, memorize tables and cubes up to at least 20 and squares up to 30. This can be of great help during multiplication and division calculation and will save you time.
Apart from this, candidates must focus more on significant topics with higher weightage in both IBPS such as Number series, Simplification, Approximation, Quadratic equation, Algebra, Data interpretation and more. These topics can fetch you a better score in both the officer scale -I and the office assistant exam if you are well versed in them.
After this, candidates can study other topics such as Ratio and proportion, Average, Percentage, Simple and compound interest, time and work, Mixture and allegation and more.
Lastly, practice as many questions as possible from the aforementioned topics and attempt regular online practice sets and quizzes on exam preparation platforms like Testbook.
A candidate can easily score above 35 in both the Prelims and Mains exam (Officer scale-I and Office assistant), by going through various rules, short tricks and practicing enough questions of different types in topics having higher weightage such as Inequality, Syllogism, Coding and decoding, Puzzles, Seating arrangement, Alphanumeric series and more.
Furthermore, candidates must solve previous years IBPS RRB question papers to get acquainted with the type of questions that can be asked in the exam. Also, attempt online quizzes and practice tests to build the ability to solve the questions in this section with speed and accuracy.
This is one of the easiest and most scoring sections of all. To get a good score in the English language section, candidates need to have a thorough knowledge of basic rules in grammar, good vocabulary and comprehensive reading skills.
For grammar, candidates can go through the basic grammar rules concerning the eight parts of speech and must practice as many questions as they can in topics such as Fill in the blanks, Spotting error, Cloze test, Para jumble, Sentence rearrangement, Synonyms and antonyms, Idioms and phrases and more.
To improve vocabulary and comprehensive reading skills, candidates must read good English newspapers, magazines and books daily. Apart from this, they must practice a few comprehension passage questions and must new words on daily basis.
General/ Financial Awareness
This is the most time-saving section and can be fruitful at times. Candidates should go through the current affairs at the national and international level of the last six months.
With this, they should be well acquainted with the history of the Indian banking system, recent government policies, Fiscal and monetary policies, Awards, Budget, Banking terms and abbreviations and more.
General Tips to Remember While Preparing for IBPS RRB Exam
- Before starting your preparation, you must carefully go through the IBPS RRB exam pattern and syllabus. This will give you the knowledge about various details such as stages of the exam, the number of questions, weightage of different sections, Time duration, topics and sub-topics in each section to cover and more. With this, you will be able to design a study plan to prepare for the exam.
- Start attempting regular test series, practice sets and sectional quizzes once you have covered the majority of topics. This will assist you in improving your accuracy and speed along with getting an insight into your strengths and weaknesses.
- Solve questions from previous years’ IBPS RRB question papers. Through this, you will get an idea of the type and pattern of questions to expect and the trend in weightage of different topics.
- Get a proper grip on the basic concepts in each topic and practice enough questions on them.
- Design a proper preparation strategy and follow it with dedication. Also, in case of any shortcomings ensure changes in it.
- Make short notes in a crisp manner in each subject separately. It will help you to quickly revise the topics that you have studied.
- Enroll in online courses for IBPS RRB exam preparation offered by various exam preparation platforms. These courses not only provide guidance to the candidates but also offer educational resources such as test series, quizzes, study notes, free current affairs content, and more on their website and E-learning App.